Sales – the heart, the company’s pump, can also have its own “wreath” and suffer from acute failure. That it is an important and sensitive body, knows every manager, especially the head of sales. Therefore, it is worth to support the work of this key muscle of the organization, and at the same time effectively unblock its communicative aorta.
It is a truism, but “sales is different”. Its character and dynamics vary depending on the industry and products offered, but generally people agree that sales work is different from the administrative one, and a professional salesman does not deliver goods from the shelf like a store (with all due respect to her).
But today he is a clever tactician, a strategist who perceives the professional reality (and often also private) in terms of great opportunities, opportunities, rivalry and dynamic and flexible action.
Change templates (communication) and the heart will come alive
However, since sales plays such a fundamental role in business and the work of business partners is significantly different from that of “full-time employees” (flexible working time, remuneration dependent on performance and activity.
Sales networks are dynamic, their development and needs require equally dynamic support and care. This is best done by people who understand the role and nature of distribution. Just imagine how extremely helpful a person who knows commercial stylistics, communication processes and is involved in his or her work can be for a sales manager.
The coordinator of the relationship should be a person who knows how to communicate and, at the same time, feels the blues of sales.Why?
- First of all, the person knows the communication processes. He or she knows how they are created and their specificity in a given company. They know how to build effective and diverse messages, what language to use, what content to display.
- Secondly, he knows the company’s information policy. He has a broad knowledge of various processes that occur within the organization, including those that are alien to sales networks. Therefore, he/she is able to look at his/her actions more comprehensively, strategically and tactically.
- Thirdly, he/she is usually able to accurately locate communication blockages and indicate their real cause; without entering into emotional stories, excuses, or pulling out old feuds.
- Fourthly, communication people are sensitive to image issues. Salespeople like to use the power of the brand in their work, but very often – acting even in good faith – they fall into the traps of their dynamic thinking and lack of knowledge about the consequences of actions taken.
- Fifthly – communication enthusiasts are constantly monitoring their field and technological progress, which provides new tools for work. Among sales people, “gadgets” are popular. Every innovation that will improve the communication process will usually be well received.
- Sixthly, the relationship coordinator, thanks to constant contact with the sales manager and collected feedback, will be able to combine sales potential and opportunities offered by the head office (new training, additional marketing materials, use of observed market niches, etc.).
- Seventhly, it is able to listen carefully and react to the needs of the network. It is also able to anticipate possible communication problems.
- Eighth – quickly responds to violations of company policies, laws, codes and regulations. As in the case of image issues, communication department employees are also sensitive to code issues in this area.
- Ninthly, they can (and should) also provide training in online communication. Many salespeople are involved on their own in “defending” the company’s image or products in online forums. Some people engage in endless and bad image discussions with bloggers.
The company and its departments are not ossified, distant structures today. They are a flow of relationships, business connections and emotions. If we think of the company and its people in this way, we quickly come to the conclusion that communication – in such an important area as sales – must be treated in an extraordinary way.
The heart of the company uses a different language and beats in its own rhythm
Effective communication with the sales network must have its distinguishing features:
While a good attitude towards cooperation should be characteristic for every employee of the company, in the case of relations with the sales network a good attitude must be combined with an understanding of the specificity of work and the needs of business partners. There is no doubt that this is a necessity.
Attractive and positive. First of all, it provides true and verified information, secondly, it exposes benefits, opportunities and opportunities, and refers to the character traits of sellers that trigger the willingness to act effectively.
Dynamics of action
Not every sales network operates very dynamically. There are some industries where one transaction is “completed” for a year. Nevertheless, a characteristic feature of the sales network is that it “boosts”.
If the feedback shows that the distribution needs specific training or new marketing materials, the positive opinion of the sales manager should be followed by a coordinated process of their creation. And again…a person who binds together a lot of valuable information in one place will be key to creating helpful solutions.
Packaged incentive and constant, positive stimuli
The competition itself – short or long term – is no longer sufficient. It has to be properly packaged. Serve it as deliciously as you can. Already now, apart from leaflets and regulations, competition spots, films that maintain motivation and commitment are commonplace.
The more examples, the better. It works. Regardless of whether we initiate a contest or announce changes to the regulations. The more examples that illustrate the issue clearly, the better the result will be. Remember – sales people act quickly. Their domain is to sell, not to “rummage” texts.
Diversity of contacts
The coordinator should have his own style and work schedule. Adapted to the needs and specifics of the network. However, it should be based on multi-channel, diverse contact with distribution and time for a reliable analysis of the information obtained. Without the latter, what I mentioned earlier does not make sense.
Separating a person or persons responsible only for communication with the sales network pays off. The real value is that the distribution and its manager have additional process support and it is purposeful, concrete and professional.
In the body of the company, this valuable heart muscle works more efficiently and effectively, and feels that its needs are better understood. If the flow of information does not encounter any major blockages, and the information itself entails a positive sequence of events then the real value of such support must be expressed in money.